Monday, June 9, 2014

Ephesians 2:12

In those days you were living apart from Christ. You were excluded from citizenship among the people of Israel, and you did not know the covenant promises God had made to them. You lived in this world without God and without hope (Ephesians 2:12 NLT). 

Although it has been 32 years since I became a believer, I can vividly remember the feeling of loneliness and hopelessness in my life without God.  I didn’t realize that I had been given an inheritance of wealth, position, and privilege in Heaven, so I sought those things on earth.  I didn’t realize that I was created to belong to God, so I kept searching for my place to belong on earth.  I didn’t realize that I had a purpose that was divinely engineered to fit who I was and what I could do, so I kept trying to find what would make me “happy,” all the while becoming more and more miserable.  I didn’t realize that my imagination and creativity were designed for the heavenly realm, so I kept my ideas and efforts earth-bound, rather than setting them towards Heavenly goals.  I didn’t realize that I had a God and King who would rectify every wrong done on earth, so I kept trying to do it myself and ended up fighting a losing battle, which led to numbing myself with alcohol and drugs to escape the injustices I couldn’t change.  I didn’t realize that everything I was doing was because I was searching for a peace that the world did not have. 

As I think back on the world from which God delivered me, I realize that I was snatched from that world, but it was not the physical world in which I lived.  When I gave my life to Christ, I did not leave planet earth.   It was the world between my ears that God saved me from – the world of my mind, which in turn determined my decisions.  I was given the key to change everything that had been leading me in the wrong direction and it came through one simple instruction:

Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect (Romans 12:2 NLT).

I have not left the world in which I met Christ, but I have left the mindset in which I met Him.  Instead of trying to come up with solutions to unresolved earthly issues, I spend my time meditating on those things that are profitable:

And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.   Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you (Philippians 4:8-9 NLT).

Today, I will set my mind on Heaven, walk in what I’ve learned from Jesus, and find the peace my soul not only craves but needs to be whole.



Check out Gennarino's devotion on Ephesians 2:12.  

No comments:

Post a Comment