Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Ephesians 1:15

Therefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints (Ephesians 1:15 NKJV)

It is noteworthy that Paul has heard about two very intangible aspects of the Ephesian believers – faith and love.   It is disturbing, however, to note the message to this church in the book of Revelations:

“To the angel of the church of Ephesus write,
‘These things says He who holds the seven stars in His right hand, who walks in the midst of the seven golden lampstands: 2 “I know your works, your labor, your patience, and that you cannot bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars; 3 and you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name’s sake and have not become weary.4 Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. 5 Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent. 6 But this you have, that you hate the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate (Revelation 2:1-6 NKJV).

When we view these two perspectives of the church in Ephesus through the lens of hindsight, it becomes clear that the believers had stepped off course.  They had once been a church known for their faith in Christ and love for all the saints, but became a church that got fine focused on doctrine rather than on Jesus.  It had taken them from being a church whose faith in Jesus had made their mission about loving one another to a church whose mission consisted of defending the faith by calling out false prophets.  This is a powerful reminder that no matter how important doctrine may be, it will never set us free.  It tends to bring us into bondage when it is devoid of God’s Spirit that transforms it from “do’s and don’ts” to loving kindness, grace, and mercy.

As a person who has been blessed with the gift of a prophet, I am also precariously perched to always fall on the side of the law, which Scripture clearly reveals does not give life:

After all, the Law brings death, but the Spirit brings life (2 Corinthians 3:6b CEV).

If I am to be a good steward of the gift God has given me, I must make sure that I never get too focused on the law, but stay completely fixated on Jesus, so that I will walk in truth AND grace - not a balance, but a fullness of both.

Today, I will ask God to keep my eyes focused on Jesus – not just what He said, but what He did and who He is.


Check out Gennarino's devotional on this same verse at:  Ephesians 1:15


No comments:

Post a Comment