Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Ephesian 1:10

 that in the dispensation of the fullness of the times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven and which are on earth—in Him (Ephesians 1:10 NKJV).

It is always noteworthy when Scripture references the “fullness of times,” because it is directly connected to God’s perfect plan.  In God’s great foreknowledge, He determined the exact moment in time that Christ would be born, that Christ would start His earthy ministry, that He would be betrayed, that He would die, that He would rise again from the dead, and that all things would be gathered together in Him.  It was all foreordained for the exact instance in which it occurred.  In fact, God even determined the exact moment in time when time itself would cease.

It’s easy to think about the fullness of time when it comes to all of these lofty, eternal ideas, but what about in our own lives?  Most of the people I know who came to Christ later in life always wish they had come earlier.  We might be prone to regret that we did not have children sooner, or move to a certain location sooner, or even figure out our true passion in life sooner.  Yet, according to this insight in Ephesians 1:10 and throughout the rest of Scripture, we see that God is sovereign, Almighty, All Knowing, and that He is working all things together for our good yet, as Paul points out - not until the “fullness of time.” 

In this idea of God’s perfect timing, I find great peace for all of those things that haunt me about the timing of life.  The next time I find myself inclined to regret something from my past, frustrated by the length of a trial in the present, or anxious over the destiny of my future, I will lock my heart on and wrap my mind around the reality that God is doing something that will have its perfect work in the fullness of time.


Today I will rest in God’s adequate ability to bring me from point A to point Z – in the fullness of His time.

Check out Gennarino's devotional on this same verse at:  http://pastor-gennarino.blogspot.com/2014/04/ephesians-110.html


2 comments:

  1. Very well said...thank you, Margaret. I needed the reminder xxoo

    ReplyDelete