Saturday, January 28, 2012

Glorifying and Enjoying God

But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills (1 Corinthians 12:11 NKJV).

As He wills – so then it is God’s decision what gifts He is going to give you.  We get so caught up on looking at the list of gifts and deciding which ones we hope we have, wish we had, or – in some cases – pray we never have.  Yet, all the while, it really is not in our court to make that call.  God has already preordained who you are, what you will do, and what you will need to do it.  He knit you together in your mother’s womb with a specific plan in mind and based upon that plan, He then assigned spiritual gifts so that you could fulfill the purpose for which He created and designed you.

When we consider the matter of spiritual gifts from that mindset, it becomes overwhelmingly obvious that we need to pay serious attention to what we do have in order to figure out what we are supposed to be doing with our life.  If I have a healthy dose of evangelism, there is a more than good chance that I will be called by God to evangelize.  If I score high on mercy, then I better be looking at what vocations will require a high degree of mercy. 

We are taught in the Westminster catechism that the chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.  What better and more perfect way would we ever glorify God than by accomplishing the purpose for which He created us with the gifts and talents He gave us?  And the only way we are going to truly enjoy God is to walk in full unison and harmony with our Creator and Father in the course He uniquely designed for us. 

Today, I need to zero in on my spiritual gifts so that I can make sure I am walking completely and fully in them.   In that way, I will glorify God and enjoy my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment